Calf and Achilles strength standards -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Calf and Achilles strength standards
A 11-14-20 04:35 PM - Post#904595    

It's a little hard to explain because the Knee Zero program is a long, slow slog at first. You used to be able to see all the movements on his Instagram, but it seems he's taken most of them down.

Either way, it starts with endless tibialis raises, straight leg calf raises, bent knee calf raises, and "Patrick steps" (a negative version of the Poliquin step up). Only then, when you have the requisite ankle strength/mobility, do you start doing this bad boy, the ATG split squat, which has been an absolute mind-blowing gamechanger for me.

I started that split squat using two aerobic steps for reduced mobility, and only this week started doing them on the floor. I've got a metal ankle that doesn't supinate/pronate, so I've never been able to do single-leg movements, but this one I can actually do because of the raised heel, and it's done magical things to my ankle, knee, and hip. The knee-strengthening effects are almost a corollary to the intense hip flexor stretch/strengthening on the off leg. I'm now very close to getting a full front split without ever having stretched, practiced, or attempted one. The standard for that movement is a full dumbbell squat on flat ground with heel lifted, 3-second pause at the bottom, and 50% bodyweight (25% per hand). So, I've still got a long way to go, but it's already paid huge dividends.

I've also greatly benefited from achieving their couch stretch standard: fully flexed hip, butt touching heel, when completely cold. Actually, achieving this was a lot easier than I expected. 1-minute daily stretches got me there in about two months.

Hope that makes sense? YMMV, but something just clicks in my head when I'm given a specific goal to achieve.

Edited by Jordan D on 11-14-20 05:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy