Calf and Achilles strength standards -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Calf and Achilles strength standards
A 11-13-20 05:18 PM - Post#904570    

Hi all. I wonder if people have feelings for "strength standards" for calf and Achilles in various sports?

I was reading up on all the latest best practice on Achilles rehab. Many runners are big advocates of this..

https://www.pogophysio.com.au/blog/the-3-key-stages- for-achilles-tendinopathy -exercises/

In brief,
Step 1: static holds up on one toe, 5 x 45 sec.
Step 2: Isotonic strength training. Above two minutes of time under tension, 3x per week.
Step 3: a LOT of little hops and double foot jumps.

I was stunned reading it to see the strength levels he recommends, even for recreational runners. e.g 3 sets of 8 slow calf raises - 3 seconds up 3 down - with one foot lifting your whole body PLUS another 0.4x body weight. I am not sure I ever hit that as a pretty good young runner. Seems like a very sensible thing to add to a runner's strength routine.

I presume people in court or field sports need spring in their step. Do any of them focus explicitly on calves, or just trust the body to "develop what it needs" through their overall sport training?
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy