Which supplements are absolutely critical? -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Which supplements are absolutely critical?
A 04-15-04 08:52 AM - Post#2007    

CL:

I hope you won't mind my using myself as an example...and I am an unknown "garage lifter."

You are correct...most supplements are crap and are designed to separate dollars from your wallet, preying upon your lust for quick results and a "magic pill." I have found the following items to actually work in my case...your mileage may vary.

A good, multi-vite/mineral...time release if available. SuperSpectrim fits this bill nicely. (I, however, am too CHEAP to buy it right now) Just to ensure that you are getting minimal amounts of the basics.

Vitamin C as you mentioned...preferably with the citrus bioflavinoids complex included.

Some type of calcium...TUMS works well here, since there aren't a lot of studies that show that you'll be able to properly uptake and utilize all that calcium. Still, chances are, if you're warm and breathing...you don't get enough calcium.

Some type of oil...wheat germ oil, rice germ oil, olive oil, Udo's, etc.

As to protein supps...a milk and egg protein is preferred over a pure whey product, for reasons of absorbtion duration being longer with the milk and egg product. Soy is fairly useless in my opinion...but is great if you have a gas shortage. A few protein drinks containing chocolate flavored soy protein and I almost became flammable.

Liver tabs...i.e. dessicated liver from Argentine beef. These are great for increased training endurance and helping to "detoxify"...especially heavy metals. Some people can't handle them...but they are worth a try.

Most everything else I've tried is "snake oil."

Your list is fairly complete to my eyes...you might want to try the liver tabs...couldn't hurt. A couple of weeks ought to show you if you'll benefit from their use.
"I'm in good shape for the shape I'm in."

"Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man comes to the Father, but by me." John 14:6
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy